We all enjoy carving a pumpkin for Halloween. But with its surprising health benefits it might be worth adding this vegetable to your shopping list all year round! The great thing about pumpkin is it’s an incredibly versatile vegetable. It can be baked, mashed, whizzed up into a soup and, thanks to its sweetness, even makes a fantastic desert pie filling!
And in case you're in need of any more convincing to pick up a pumpkin this weekend, here are 5 reasons why it makes a fantastic addition to your diet:
1. Helps Vision: One cup of cooked pumpkin contains more than 200% of our recommended daily intake of vitamin A, which helps keep our eyes healthy.
2. Weight Loss: Pumpkin has three grams of fibre per cup and only 49 calories, so it helps keep you full with very few calories!
3. Heart Health: Pumpkin seeds are naturally rich in plant-based chemicals called phytosterols that have been shown to reduce bad cholesterol.
4. Boost The Immune System: One cup of cooked pumpkin contains more than 11 milligrams of Vitamin C, that’s 20% of the recommended daily intake.
5. May Reduce Cancer Risk: The antioxidant beta-carotene may play a role in cancer prevention, and pumpkins (and sweet potato’s and carrots too) are chock full of it!
So why not try a pumpkin recipe this weekend?
© Nature Works Brands Limited 2018
Website by Orca