Sometimes it’s hard to break free from a bad mood, no matter how hard we try. But what if there was away to eat our way to a better mood? Surely that statement alone is enough of a reason to be cheery, but if not then here are 5 snacks you can pack in your lunchbox to help keep the stress and grumpiness at bay.
1. ORANGES: Oranges not only smell refreshing but they are really high in Vitamin C, which helps toregulate stress hormones and lower blood pressure.
2. COCONUT: Coconuts contain medium-chain triglycerides, which are instantly used by the brain. This means by eating coconut you can prevent any sugar crashes and therefore help to stabilise your mood.
3. EDAMAME: This bean, usually found in sushi bars and sprinkled with salt, is high in Folate. This is a B vitamin that has a positive effect on the neurotransmitters that are responsible for your mood.
4. CHICKPEAS: Chickpeas contain vitamin B6, protein and magnesium which help to combat low energy and anxiety. B6 and protein also support the function of our brain's neurotransmitters that produce dopamine and serotonin – the happy hormones! Try eating some houmous at lunchtime to stave off an afternoon slump.
5. POPCORN: Popcorn is rich in the amino acid tryptophan, which helps your body to produce serotonin and therefore helps keep away the bad mood! – Avoid the shop bought stuff though, as this tends to be high in salt.
And there you have it, 5 snacks to help keep you cheery throughout the day!